Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Wait, I'm interning WHERE?

Part of the India Studies Program is doing an internship or field experience.  Early this semester, we all waited with bated breath to see where we would be placed.  Everyone's internship sounded perfect for them and like a great place for learning.  I waited.  I didn't know where I would be placed - I had mentioned writing and editing in my 'internship interest' form, but I had no idea what would come of it. 

"You'll be interning at The Hindu," the professor told me.  I gaped. 

See, The Hindu is India's largest English-language newspaper.  It's been around since 1878.  For crying out loud, I read The Hindu as part of my attempt to familiarize myself with Indian current events!  And I was going to be interning there!  I was totally agog.  It was kind of hilarious, because my professor and internship guide kept asking if I was okay with it, if I was happy to go, and I had to say, "No, it's great, I'm over-the-moon excited about it, I just can't believe I'm actually interning at The Hindu.  LIKE WHAAAAAAAAAT???"  . . . well, you get the drift. Anyway, it wasn't all smooth from there - there were some hiccups in getting the internship off the ground.  The Hindu had a different format for internships that what the program had planned, so it took a little bit before we got it started - but start I did!  I came back after homestay to hear that they wanted me to start the next day.  Mindblowing. 

It's been feast-or-famine here - since it's a newspaper, they either have a lot to do or almost nothing, depending on what's coming in and how far along they are on the day's issue.  (Also, since I don't know Tamil, it can be hard to find things for me to do, as news comes into the office in Tamil and is then written as an English article.)  I've gone over to one of the entertainment sections, Metro Plus, often since they have things for me to observe and do.  There, they do something similar to what I do with the Writing Center newsletter, so it's been cool to see how they format things and work with everything.  I'm hoping I can use this experience to better my writing, editing, and formatting of the Writing Center newsletter. 

Far and away the coolest thing that's happened during my internship was writing an article for the Metro Plus, watching it go through the process of editing and formatting . . . and having it published the following day!  I heard responses from people in the program, but other people from commented on it, too - it's just so cool to know that something I wrote was published, and that a lot of people read it.  It was such a fabulous thing to see and be a part of, and such a great learning moment. 

Internship at The Hindu has been interesting, to say the least.  Sometimes it's been stressful, and sometimes it's been boring - and sometimes it's been so packed with amazing things and learning experiences that I need a day to just sit back and process everything.  A bit like my overall experience in India, actually.  I feel so lucky that I was privileged enough to be placed here - what a crazy, wonderful, thing. 

My article, published in the weekend edition of The Hindu's Metro Plus!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness congratulations! Working at a newspaper is incredible! It's such a different experience and the writing styles are different than essay writing but it's so much more fun! I don't know how The Hindu does their writing layout but I know in the USA we have to write AP style. Good luck with everything girl and I can't wait to read your next update! Don't forget to cut that out and put it in a portfolio ASAP! :)
    Hugs and kisses from North Carolina USA. <3

    ReplyDelete